top of page
Image by Tyler Nix

Family Sponsorship Canada
LICO for sponsorship


As a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada, you will be able to sponsor certain family members to come to Canada if you are at least 18 years old. This means that the person you sponsor will become a permanent resident (PR) of Canada. This page will help you understand how to sponsor a family member to Canada and LIOC for sponsorship

how does family sponsorship work in Canada ?

You may sponsor your spouse, partner, or dependent children. As well as sponsor your parents and grandparents. In some specific cases, you may sponsor an orphaned brother, sister, nephew, niece or grandchild (they must be unmarried, under 18 years old and be related by blood or adoption).

The requirements to sponsor a relative to Canada

The requirement may vary depending on whether you are sponsoring your spouse, partner, child, parents or grandparents. But the following conditions will always need to be met:

  1. The sponsor must be at least 18 years old

  2. The sponsor must live in Canada (obligatory if they are a Permanent Resident); or must plan to return to Canada (if the sponsor is a Canadian Citizen and lives abroad) once your family member becomes a permanent resident of Canada

  3. For family sponsorship income requirement the sponsor must be able and willing to provide for the basic financial needs of their family member for a specific period.

Requirements to sponsor spouse, partner, and/or dependent children to Canada:

  • You’re at least 18 years old.

  • You’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.

  • If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.

  • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.

  • You’re able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability

  • you can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor.

  • There is no financial requirement to sponsor (LICO) your spouse or partner or dependent children unless: 

    • You are sponsorship a depending child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own, OR

    • You are sponsoring a spouse or partner that has a dependent child, and their dependent child has 1 or more children of their own.

Requirements to sponsor a conjugal partner to Canada:

A conjugal partner is:

  • a person who is living outside Canada,

  • in a conjugal relationship with the sponsor for at least one year, and

  • could not live with the sponsor as a couple because of reasons beyond their control (e.g. immigration barrier, religious reasons or sexual orientation).

This term applies to both opposite and same-gender couples.

You can sponsor a conjugal partner if:

  • there is a significant degree of attachment between the two of you, implying not just a physical relationship but a mutually interdependent relationship, and

  • you’ve been in a genuine (real) relationship for at least 12 months where marriage or cohabitation (living together) hasn’t been possible because of barriers such as sexual orientation, religious faith, etc.

  • The couple must submit proof of the obstacles or restrictions that are preventing them from living together or getting married.

  • IMPORTANT to note: your conjugal partner cannot be living in Canada when you apply.

Requirements to sponsor a parent or grandparent to Canada:

  • you’re invited to apply

  • you’re at least 18 years old

  • you live in Canada

  • you’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act

  • you have enough money to support the people you want to sponsor

    • to show that you have enough, you’ll have to provide your proof of income

    • you may have a spouse or common-law partner co-sign to combine your incomes

lico canada sponsorship

LICO for sponsorship requirement for all provinces except Quebec

Family sponsorship income required for the 3 tax years right before the day you apply (sponsors applying in 2021)

Table for LICO Canada sponsorship:

Note: To prove they meet the MNI requirement, potential sponsors must provide their Notice of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency CRA for the last 3 taxation years before applying (2020, 2019 and 2018).


LMRT immigration company 433-Chabanel-Rue-O-Montréal-QC


Retaining our services means you are being supported by a result-driven team who are specialized in the field and have years of experience working on sponsorship applications. Our licensed immigration consultants (RCICs) and team will take care of your file as their own and ensure the submission of a complete and strong application to increase your chances of approval.


Sponsorship applications may be returned to the applicants or rejected for various reasons including missing signatures, signing in the wrong place, missing a check mark, missing documentation, lack of information, and much more other things. Hiring our professional services means you don’t have to worry about anything and leave the stress and hours of paperwork to us.


To request our services call us now at +1 (438) 700 6165, email us at or book a consultation here on our website.

We speak English, French, Arabic, Farsi and Spanish!

Frequently asked questions (FAQ) about Canada immigration sponsorship

bottom of page